Main Article Content
diet, creatine, supplements, training
This narrative review explores the under-researched area of nutritional practices and knowledge among professional beach and indoor volleyball players. By reviewing 13 relevant articles, the review delves into the dietary intake, nutrition education, and sports supplement use of indoor and beach volleyball players. The findings underscore a need to understand volleyball players' distinct nutritional requirements. Indoor and beach volleyball players need help meeting recommended carbohydrate and protein intakes. Additionally, further research is warranted to establish the direct influence of supplements on volleyball performance.
2. Natali S, Ferioli D, La Torre A, Bonato M. Physical and technical demands of elite beach volleyball according to playing position and gender. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. Jan 2019;59(1):6-9. doi:10.23736/s0022-4707.17.07972-5
3. Bellinger PM, Newans T, Whalen M, Minahan C. Quantifying the Activity Profile of Female Beach Volleyball Tournament Match-Play. J Sports Sci Med. Mar 2021;20(1):142-148. doi:10.52082/jssm.2021.142
4. Devlin BL, Belski R. Exploring general and sports nutrition and food knowledge in elite male Australian athletes. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism. 2015;25(3):225-232.
5. Cortez D, Krebs-Holm L, Gish D, Wildman R. Anthropometric measures and nutrition intake, habits and perceptions of Division I women’s volleyball players. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2011/11/07 2011;8(1):P8. doi:10.1186/1550-2783-8-S1-P8
6. Zapolska J, Witczak K, Mańczuk A, Ostrowska L. ASSESSMENT OF NUTRITION, SUPPLEMENTATION AND BODY COMPOSITION PARAMETERS ON THE EXAMPLE OF PROFESSIONAL VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS. Roczniki Państwowego Zakładu Higieny. 2014;65(3):235-242.
7. Zetou E, Giatsis G, Mountaki F, Komninakidou A. Body weight changes and voluntary fluid intakes of beach volleyball players during an official tournament. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 2008;11(2):139-145. doi:10.1016/j.jsams.2007.01.005
8. Zetou E, Vernadaki Z, Mountaki F, Giatsis G, Laparidis K. Common practices of beach volleyball players regarding fluid, supplements and nutrition intake during a tournament. Physical Training. 2006:1-1.
9. Mielgo-Ayuso J, Zourdos MC, Calleja-Gonzalez J, Urdampilleta A, Ostojic SM. Dietary intake habits and controlled training on body composition and strength in elite female volleyball players during the season. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 2015;40(8):827-834.
10. Almeida TAd, Soares EA. Nutritional and anthropometric profile of adolescent volleyball athletes. Revista Brasileira de Medicina do Esporte. 2003;9:198-203.
11. Mielgo Ayuso J, Zourdos MC, Urdampilleta A, Calleja González J, Seco J, Córdova A. Relationship of long-term macronutrients intake on anabolic-catabolic hormones in female elite volleyball players. Nutricion hospitalaria. 2017;34(5):1155-1162. doi:10.20960/nh.763
12. Madison B, Ravneet G, Maria Ilektra R, Efthalia C, Panagiota K. Energy Expenditure, Dietary Energy Intake, and Nutritional Supplements in Adolescent Volleyball Athletes versus Nonathletic Controls. article. Nutrients. 04/01/ 2023;15(1788):1788-1788. doi:10.3390/nu15071788
13. Anderson DE. The impact of feedback on dietary intake and body composition of college women volleyball players over a competitive season. The Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research. 2010;24(8):2220-2226.
14. Papadopoulou SK, Papadopoulou SD, Gallos GK. Macro-and micro-nutrient intake of adolescent Greek female volleyball players. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism. 2002;12(1):73-80.
15. Palao JM, Valades D, Ortega E. Match Duration and Number of Rallies in Men's and Women's 2000-2010 FIVB World Tour Beach Volleyball. J Hum Kinet. Oct 2012;34:99-104. doi:10.2478/v10078-012-0068-7
16. Kerksick CM, Wilborn CD, Roberts MD, et al. ISSN exercise & sports nutrition review update: research & recommendations. Journal of the international society of sports nutrition. 2018;15(1):38.
17. Burke LM, Cox GR, Cummings NK, Desbrow B. Guidelines for daily carbohydrate intake: do athletes achieve them? Sports medicine. 2001;31:267-299.
18. Jäger R, Kerksick CM, Campbell BI, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2017;14(1):20.
19. Morton RW, Murphy KT, McKellar SR, et al. A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta-regression of the effect of protein supplementation on resistance training-induced gains in muscle mass and strength in healthy adults. British journal of sports medicine. 2018;52(6):376-384.
20. Antonio J, Candow DG, Forbes SC, Ormsbee MJ, Saracino PG, Roberts J. Effects of dietary protein on body composition in exercising individuals. Nutrients. 2020;12(6):1890.
21. Braun H, von Andrian-Werburg J, Schänzer W, Thevis M. Nutrition status of young elite female German football players. Pediatric exercise science. 2018;30(1):157-167.
22. Mullinix MC, Jonnalagadda SS, Rosenbloom CA, Thompson WR, Kicklighter JR. Dietary intake of female US soccer players. Nutrition Research. 2003;23(5):585-593.
23. Heaney S, O'Connor H, Gifford J, Naughton G. Comparison of strategies for assessing nutritional adequacy in elite female athletes' dietary intake. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. Jun 2010;20(3):245-56. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.20.3.245
24. Holden SL, Forester BE, Keshock CM, Williford HN. Sports nutrition knowledge of volleyball players. International Journal of Kinesiology in Higher Education. 2019;3(2):58-65.
25. Valliant MW, Emplaincourt HP, Wenzel RK, Garner BH. Nutrition education by a registered dietitian improves dietary intake and nutrition knowledge of a NCAA female volleyball team. Nutrients. Jun 2012;4(6):506-16. doi:10.3390/nu4060506
26. Close GL, Hamilton DL, Philp A, Burke LM, Morton JP. New strategies in sport nutrition to increase exercise performance. Free radical biology and medicine. 2016;98:144-158.
27. Pérez-López A, Salinero JJ, Abian-Vicen J, et al. Caffeinated energy drinks improve volleyball performance in elite female players. Medicine and science in sports and exercise. 2015;47(4):850-856. doi:10.1249/MSS.0000000000000455
28. Lamontagne-Lacasse M, Nadon R, Goulet EDB. Effect of Creatine Supplementation on Jumping Performance in Elite Volleyball Players. International Journal of Sports Physiology & Performance. 2011;6(4):525-533.
29. Portal S, Zadik Z, Rabinowitz J, et al. The effect of HMB supplementation on body composition, fitness, hormonal and inflammatory mediators in elite adolescent volleyball players: a prospective randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Article. European journal of applied physiology (Print). 01/01/ 2011;111(9):2261-2269.
30. Lowery LM, Anderson DE, Scanlon KF, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: coffee and sports performance. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2023;20(1):2237952.
31. Lara B, Gonzalez-Millán C, Salinero JJ, et al. Caffeine-containing energy drink improves physical performance in female soccer players. Amino acids. 2014;46:1385-1392.
32. Puente C, Abián-Vicén J, Salinero JJ, Lara B, Areces F, Del Coso J. Caffeine improves basketball performance in experienced basketball players. Nutrients. 2017;9(9):1033.
33. Fernández-Campos C, Dengo AL, Moncada-Jiménez J. Acute Consumption of an Energy Drink Does Not Improve Physical Performance of Female Volleyball Players. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 01 Jun. 2015 2015;25(3):271-277. doi:10.1123/ijsnem.2014-0101
34. Kreider RB, Kalman DS, Antonio J, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: safety and efficacy of creatine supplementation in exercise, sport, and medicine. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2017;14(1):18.
35. Buford TW, Kreider RB, Stout JR, et al. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: creatine supplementation and exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2007;4(1):1-8.
36. Sieroń A, Kołodyńska G, Rostojek P. Potential advantages and disadvantages of using creatine supplements by professional volleyball players. Journal of Education, Health and Sport. 2018;8(8):1078-1087.
37. Wilson JM, Fitschen PJ, Campbell B, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 2013;10(1):1-14.